Monday, June 6, 2011

Holding my Breath or Taking my Breath Away?

Sometimes we need to move from where we are seeing to see a little more clearly or more fully. That may mean standing up and walking over to another spot, another point of view.

Today I walked from my yard to a field nearby and saw a sea of dandelions. Now directly across the street from my house the dandelions that grow so abundantly do not take my breath away with the beauty that is theirs. But these ones did. I wasn't holding my breath, wondering if a wind would come and blow the weeds to root in my green grass. I wasn't worried about how they might take something away from my yard, from me. I was able to see their delicate beauty in all its splendor.

How much am I like that with people? If I don't agree with their point of view, do I hold my breath, restricting oxygen from my life and the possibility of new or enriched relationship? What if I walk over to take a closer look, a new look, a careful listen? At the end of the day, I may still not agree with their viewpoint but maybe I've made a friend and maybe I can understand their point of view a little more...and maybe, quite possibly, my breath will be taken away by the beauty that is theirs.


3 comments:

  1. Once again, your depth of field is off the wall! So cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow....after reading this, I'm definitely following your blog. What you wrote spoke so much to me. Thank you for your depth and openness.

    ReplyDelete