Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Depth of Field

Using a shallow depth of field can sometimes make all the difference in the world between mediocrity and magnificent. Well, okay, that might be a little extreme. But in this shot, I used an f-stop of 2.8 and as a result the various depths of the flower have great separation by way of clarity. This allows for what I call a floating effect. The background is also blurred in degrees, giving you enough information and added interest without distracting your attention from the main focal point.

Your turn. Get out there and take some shots with a shallow depth of field. Choose your subject accordingly and have fun!


6 comments:

  1. I have said this before and I'll say it again, your depth of field is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely stunning! I can't stop thinking about it! I found you through craftgawker (I make cards) and I love your work! Have a blessed day! I'm going to add this photo to my pinterest board on Beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you SO much!!! I appreciate you stopping by and am happy you like it enough to share. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...oh and your cards are lovely - the photo with the bike at the top of your blog is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete