Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Red-Breasted Nuthatch

I noticed this little bird over the weekend in the Whiteshell Provincial Park. Initially I thought it was some kind of Woodpecker because of the way it was pecking the tree. After some research I learned it was a Red-Breasted Nuthatch.
It was a rainy morning so I took this shot from inside the cabin. The raindrops on the trees were beautiful little globes of light in the background.
I shot this with my 75-300 mm lens and deviated from my usual ISO 100 setting to 400. The light was relatively low and I did not have my tripod so bumping the ISO was necessary.
I used a speed of 1/250 and aperture of f/5.6. This aperture gave me the shallow depth of field I was after, creating some sweet bokeh and drawing attention to the subject by way of clarity.

1 comment:

  1. I like the distinctive sound they make. It makes me feel at home.

    ReplyDelete