Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Routine

In one of the darkest times of my life, I was counseled to keep some sort of routine. Something regular, normal, each day; this would be a vehicle to move through the stress. It would calm, bring some order into chaos and help me to keep on, keep going.

After immersing myself in the news of the great tragedy in Boston yesterday, I went to bed feeling sad and overwhelmed for those whose lives were instantly changed. I woke this morning and went along with life, my daily routine. I looked over at my husband and saw he was the picture of doing exactly this. He was moving through. The sight of him doing so was calming.


What I realized back in the darkness was this: moving along with the regular things takes nothing away from the importance of whatever else is going on. It just helps us to move, to keep going, to not get stuck.

2 comments:

  1. It's nice to see your husband.
    In response to the news, I like your approach. I am also encouraged by the sheer number of people who are shocked, trying to help, or both. There's far more good than bad in humanity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard this advice given in a couple of different places: as we watch the loop of the explosions, to take note of how many people run towards the victims to offer help. There are a lot. That speaks volumes and that encourages me.

      Delete